Psychological development of children is followed with biological and motor development.
In the first plan in working with children we take care of:
- Cognitive abilities (intelligence)
- Conative characteristics of children (personality)
Cognitive abilities of children
The most accepted theory of cognitive (intellectual) functioning assumes a general factor which is responsible for central processing efficiency.
- Perceptive processing (sensory perception mostly by sight, identification of differences, contrast, shades, relationships etc.)
- Parallel processing (parallel processing large amounts of information, drawing conclusions and making decisions on set problems and appropriate responses)and
- Serial processing (successive, independent processing large amounts of information, and then adequate reaction).
By using a variety of motor activities in the long term, especially those in which the emphasis is on coordination problems and maintaining balance position, in some extent, it can influence the development of general cognitive ability of children in the period that includes working with children in the school of sports.
The development of cognitive skills has a significant impact positively on overall child development.
Conative characteristics of children
Modality of children’s behavior is determined by larger number of normal and pathological conative characteristics (personality traits). School of sport in working with children emphasizes the identification and reduction of neurotic behavior.
- Reduction of anxiety
- Reduction of inhibitory conversion
- Reduction of exceeded aggression
- Increase of self domination and
- Increase of extraversion.
It is known that the children, who has above average coordination abilities, are emotionally more stable, conscientious, extravert, more confident, cooperative, have more ego strength, than the children who have weak coordination.
Changes in conative performance are based on the observations of realization motor tasks that require child’s courage, determination, patience, self-control, cooperation, etc..